1. Bada bing is a slang term roughly equivalent in meaning to voilà, presto, or there you have it. Where did bada bing originate?
2. Within Felidae, the biological family of the cats, the genus Panthera includes the four biggest cats: lion, tiger, jaguar, and leopard. In addition to their size, what characteristic distinguishes these four species from all other cats?
3. Why is the musician Moby called Moby?
4. What country elected a celebrity chef as Prime Minister, then ousted him for hosting TV cooking shows while in office?
5. In 1982, before Paul Newman introduced his line of Newman’s Own products, he recruited one of his neighbors in Westport, Connecticut, to conduct a blind taste test of his salad dressing. Who was the neighbor?
1. Bada bing was ad-libbed by actor James Caan in the 1972 film The Godfather, during a scene in which Caan expresses confidence that a planned shooting will succeed. Caan later said the unscripted term “just came out of my mouth.”
2. They alone have the ability to roar.
3. Moby’s parents gave him that nickname when he was a baby. His real name is Richard Melville Hall. Herman Melville, the author of Moby Dick, was Moby’s great-great-great-granduncle.
4. The country was Thailand. In 2008, the Constitutional Court found Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej guilty of being privately employed (as a cooking show host) while in office, which is specifically forbidden by the constitution. Sundaravej, whose signature dish was pork leg stewed in Coca-Cola, resigned.
5. Martha Stewart, who at the time operated a catering business out of her home.